Den Haag | rdpd08-19-a
PowerDNS Service Engineer
Don’t just go to work. Thrive.
We need people who are committed to openness, have a rebellious business spirit and the will to revolutionize the market.
Open people for open source!
By joining OX as part of the PowerDNS-Team, this position is a launch pad for highly talented individuals to build their experience and access many opportunities working for OX globally
A borderless internet that is open, safe and free
We are eMail
Worldwide companies like: Comcast, Cox, 1&1, STRATO, Deutsche Telekom, Vodafone, Orange, Unitymedia, ItaliaOnline, Host Europe, NetCologne, network solutions / web.com and Rackspace all use our "white label" products for eMail and collaboration.
As a PowerDNS Service Engineer you will make the difference
As a PowerDNS Service Engineer you will work as part of the PowerDNS Engineering team on the development and deployment of a globally-distributed authoritative DNS service based on PowerDNS. In this role, you will coordinate your activities with product management, Sales, and other Services teams within Open-Xchange. OX believes in hiring talent and training for skills. We are specifically looking for employees willing to learn by doing. The close cooperation between the PowerDNS Engineering team and the Sales, Services and Engineering teams in the rest of the larger Open-Xchange organization, means growth opportunities abound inside and outside the team. In other words, this position is a great opportunity to build a career track.
Your passion / Your job
- Design, develop, test and deploy high-volume, low-latency DNS solutions, delivering high availability and performance
- Designing and implementing smart solutions to consistency and distribution problems
- Taking care of monitoring, alerting, performance metrics and acting upon them
- Not doing anything twice by automating everything
- Continuously improve yourself and the products by investigating alternatives and technologies
- Supporting our Sales-Engineering and Support teams with technical questions or issues from customers
What do you bring to the table
- Knowledge of and experience with networking protocols like TCP, UDP, IPv4, IPv6, DNS, BGP and anycast
- Knowledge of and experience with Linux systems administration and Linux networking
- Experience with DevOps culture, techniques and tools
- Troubleshooting skills that go from code to systems to network and everything in between
- (Open Source) Software development experience
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English. Dutch and German skills are a plus, but not required
- Ability to cooperatively establish requirements, design and implement complex systems
- Be organized with a strong attention to detail and ability to work well under pressure
Tools and programming/scripting languages
- Languages: C++, GoLang, Python, Lua and shell (sh, bash)
- DevOps tools: Ansible
- Operating Systems: Mostly Linux (Debian, CentOS)
- Metrics: Prometheus, Grafana
- Version Control: Git, Github, Gitlab
- Data storage: PostgreSQL, Redis, LMDB
- CI/CD: Travis, BuildBot, Gitlab-CI
What do we offer
- Ability to work from both: your home office and our (not open-plan) office near the centre of the Hague (Koninginnegracht)
- A current company laptop (Macbook or Lenovo) with peripherals
- Many options for personal development and training
- Flat hierarchies combined with an "Open Door" policy
- Plenty of opportunities to attend conferences and industry gatherings with your co-workers, and an awesome end-of-year party