Espoo | Europe | rdmc01
C & Rust Developer - EU (f/m/d)
Don’t just go to work. Thrive.
We look for people who are committed to openness and have the will to revolutionize the market. You will join OX as part of a special team. As a talented individual, you can advance within your department as well as getting the opportunity to work for OX globally.
A borderless internet that is open, safe and free.
We are eMail
Worldwide companies like Comcast, Cox, 1&1, STRATO, Deutsche Telekom, Vodafone, Orange, Unitymedia, ItaliaOnline, Host Europe, NetCologne, network solutions / web.com, Rackspace, Softbank, and GoDaddy use our "white label" products for eMail and collaboration.
Open Source is our foundation
The mix of divergent perspectives, corporate objectives, and personal goals is our foundation and speeds up innovation.
The OX Engineering Team is looking for a C Developer to join our COI Messaging Initiative
COI – Chat Over IMAP – is a new emerging messaging standard based on email. With more active users than WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and WeChat combined, email provides an excellent basis to setup a new messaging system that overcomes the chicken and egg problem of other initiatives. Learn more about COI at https://coi-dev.org.
With Dovecot, the world’s most popular IMAP service, OX has an excellent basis to influence future email standards in a sustainable manner. Compare http://openemailsurvey.org/.
We're looking to hire a software engineer to join the OX Engineering Team, preferably in close reach to one of our office locations.
You will spearhead the development of COI and contribute to the Open Source projects Delta Chat Core and Dovecot to establish viable, federated and open alternatives to proprietary messaging solutions. As such you will work on making the client middleware Delta Chat Core compatible to the COI (Chat Over IMAP) project. You will work in close cooperation with the Dovecot IMAP as well as the client teams of OX
Your passion / Your job
- Writing excellent quality, understandable and clean C99 and Rust code
- Understanding Open source software – Your name will be publicly show with your commits
- Secure coding practices
- Writing unit tests and/or CI tests for your newly written code
- Designing and developing new features
- Debugging bugs, crashes and performance problems. Sometimes this requires understanding external software (or even hardware), such as the (mobile) OS, storage system, load balancer, firewall, etc.
- Writing performance critical code.
- Ideally have experience in Rust development
What you bring to the table
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer science or corresponding work experience
- Excellent C language skills, since Delta Chat Core is mostly C99 code
- Good Rust skills, as future parts of Delat Chat Core will be implemented in Rust
- Good debugging skills to understand and fix crashes and other strange behaviour (gdb, valgrind, strace)
- Experience with C on mobile OS (NDK on Android, iOS)
- Determining operational feasibility by evaluating requirements, analysis, solution development, and proposed solutions
- Ability to work independently with support the of the OX team
- Goal-oriented working style and high self-motivation
- Team player and ability to communicate well amongst peers
What we offer
- Working on modern software in an international team
- Wide scope to develop your own ideas and projects
- Possibility occasionally to work from home and the opportunity to work from one of our well-appointed worldwide offices
- The most current and jazzy equipment
- Continuous personal development & training
- Flat hierarchies combined with an "Open Door" policy
- Great fringe benefits